Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My yorkie got into a skiffle and got sprayed by a skunk

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I'm Dr Scott. Welcome to JustAnswer, I am working on your answer now, you can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes

Hello again

I have worked out a reply for you below.

While the encounter with the skunk is unpleasant both for your dog and yourself it is usually not a dangerous situation, if her eyes are affected all you usually have to do is to thoroughly irrigate them with luke warm water and your dog should return to normal in a couple of hours. The same goes for dogs which are salivating, just flush out her mouth.

Of course the worst thing is the smell to contend with. There are a number of remedies to get rid of the smell both commercial and home remedies, probably none of them are 100% effective but here are some tips :

1. Wash your dog as soon as possible after the skunk spray so that nothing dries into her coat.

2. Shower or hose your dog and rinse her really well, do not bath her as the smell will be in the bath water but the shower will eliminate it more quickly.

3. Use dawn dish soap or other soap and let it soak in for 30 minutes but keep her coat moist, rinse him really well and repeat the process twice. { Dawn seems to be best }

4. Finally use a commercial odour eliminator designed for this purpose if you have one available or you can buy one at a vet or good pet store in your area tomorrow.

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you I'll was her I dawn

That's about best ...

Please let me know how you get on.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Wiggles is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the skunk incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.