Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Yesterday he chewed on a bath and body works antibacterial

Customer Question
thing that was hanging on...
Yesterday he chewed on a bath and body works antibacterial thing that was hanging on my bag. He apparently got it open and I am not sure how much he ingested.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Today he is throwing up...starting at about 5, and has had diarrhea all night
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: His name is ***** ***** he is 1 year old...shih tzu 9 pounds
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Marta Lepes
Dr Marta Lepes, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I will do my best to help you. I'm reviewing your question now and I will post back to you ASAP.

What exactly is the Body Works antibacterial thing? Do you have the label with the ingredients?

I need this information to see if it is toxic or just irritating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He didn't grab a hold of it for very long, I heard him chewing something, and immediately noticed he had the lid popped open. I snatched it away. Yes it's just like purell, but flavored

OK. Thanks. Give me a few minutes to research the ingredients.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He only could have possibly licked the top of the container, he could not have squeezed any more out....

Most hand sanitizers contain some form of alcohol and yours has isopropyl alcohol.

Did Cowboy show any symptoms of being drunk? Incoordination? Staggering? Sleeping extra deep?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No...he's been his normal playful self. He ingested it around 3 pm yesterday...and the symptoms didn't start until today around 5...Now he obviously acts like he doesn't feel well...but he has vomited a ton and had to go to the bathroom constantly...

These products are irritating to the stomach and intestines which is why he had vomiting and diarrhea.

Has the vomiting stopped?

How long ago did he have his last diarrhea? (hours/minutes)

Have you been trying to reach me?

I keep getting a notice that you are back on line but You are never there.

It's almost an hour since i heard from you. Are you still there?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian