Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Matt, What is your opinion on giving vaccinations outside of

Customer Question
Hello Dr. Matt, What is your...
Hello Dr. Matt,
What is your opinion on giving vaccinations outside of the core required vaccinations. Specifically the leptospirosis, and canine influenza 1 & 2?
Thank you for your professional opinion.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/30/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

Hi this is DRB and I would be happy to assist you unless you specifically want to wait for Dr Matt........let me know

Ok, since I ma not hearing back from you I will opt out and allow DR Matt to help you.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I can help you this evening. The vaccines you are asking about are very important, depending on what state you live in.

Leptospirosis is a bacteria (Leptospira spp.) that causes severe liver and kidney failure and death if not treated appropriately. If the dog becomes infected with this bacteria and urinates, the owners of the dog can also become exposed and gravely ill as well. The dog becomes infected by being exposed to standing water that rodents and other wildlife have urinated in. So if you have lots of rodents and standing water, your dog is at risk. Because of the risk to human health as well as animal health, veterinarians recommend vaccinating your dog for this bacteria.

Canine Influenza is a virus that dogs should receive a vaccine if you are in a high risk state (Ohio, Illinois) or if they are boarding, day care, groomers, etc. The flu virus in dogs usually causes upper respiratory signs, but in about 10% of cases the dog develop viral pneumonia and potentially a secondary bacterial component that can cause permanent lung damage and scarring.

I would discuss the regional risks of these infections with your veterinarian as well as your dog's exposure risk and decide form there which vaccines are best for your dogs.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian