Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dachshund licks his armpits and feet a LOT! Dr.

Customer Question

My dachshund licks his armpits and feet a LOT! Dr. prescribed antihistamine, which doesn't seem to help. I have tried calamine lotion, Buttpaste, antiseptic/pain relief, and several other topical treatments (my own treatment), and nothing really seems to help.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: Rudy, four years in November.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rudy?
Customer: He's overweight....28 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. My name is***** am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Rudy is so itchy. The most common reason for dogs to lick their feet and armpits is an allergy, often to things in the environment such as pollens. Sometimes antihistamines help; sometimes you have to try 2 or 3 antihistamines. What have you tried so far?

There is no cure for allergies, yet. If antihistamines do not help, the next step is to try prescription medication such as Temeril P, prednisone, Atopica, and the newest medication that works very well in 80% of dogs, Apoquel.

There are supplements that may help, in combination with histamines: Quercetin, Fish oil, Vitamin E and other antioxidants, Nettles.

Each case is different, and you have to try one thing after another until you find what helps Rudy.

Are you using flea control on him?

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you.

Can I answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?