Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our little dog was diagnosed with paralysis tick bite and

Customer Question
she was given vaccine but...
Our little dog was diagnosed with paralysis tick bite and she was given vaccine but it was not a tick. Her symptoms were unable to walk and she was put on antiniotics and seroids. She slowly improved and was walking after 2 weeks. When the course of antibiotics was finished she was on seroids only (every 2nd day]. She started getting weak again and shaking. Her head was wobbling and she did not want to eat.
One vet ,mentioned maybe meningitis. She kind of wobbles when she walks also. Do you have any idea what has happened to her? She is 7yrs.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

I am sorry to hear she is having this problem.

Was any bloodwork checked (blood chemistry, cell counts, etc.)?

Did she have any imaging like an MRI or CT scan done?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ct scan, blood work. Still no answers to possible problem.

I see. When they did the CT scan did they do a spinal tap (CSF tap) and what were the results?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Not sure about that. What will that detect Dr G?

That looks to see if there is inflammation of the brain (meningitis or encephalitis). Typically that is done with a CT, but not always depending on where the CT was done. That would be the next step in diagnosis, along with an MRI of the brain and possibly spinal cord as well.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What is encephalitis? The vet said it could be ,meningitis. So i think ,maybe no spinal tap sample taken.

Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain, meningitis is inflammation of the lining around the brain. Encephalomyelitis is inflammation of both of those tissues together. They are all diagnosed via spinal tap and/or MRI

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She aways had a bad breath and she has got one tooth that needs to come out. Can decayed teeth cause problems like this?

Not typically. A mass in the mouth that pushes onto the brain could cause something like that, but usually there is major swelling of the face/head. I doubt the tooth is a huge issue right now.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Last question Dr G. What causes meningitis or encephalitis?

Typically these are due to inflammation or infection. Sometimes the immune system causes this (immune mediated disease), and sometimes due to tumors affecting the brain. Usually this is immune mediated or infectious.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Dr. G.
Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian