Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My mini daschund is 9 months since old and almost 10 lbs.

Customer Question
She stuck her nose in...
She stuck her nose in my pocketbook And found my subsolve tablets.5.7 /1.4.
It was in a small pill bag that she managed to chew into, but to me it didn't look like anything came out. The pills were smashed but still inside. (So I thought).
Within a half hour she crawled into her bed and went to sleep. We picked her up and took her out with her leash. She walked but very slowly.
It is now 1am. She is whimpering and trying to get comfortable but she's definitely struggling.
I called poison control and they think we should bring her in for a possible Narcan shot and to monitor her breathing.
1:14am. Advice?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/28/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there Sandra,

I'm sorry to hear about Phoebe. I'm typing up a response now and will have this to you in the next couple of minutes.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It is certainly a worry that Phoebe could potentially have ingested some of your Subsolve tablets. Because she is so small it wouldn't take much for her to be severely effected by this mix of buprenorphine and naloxone. While buprenorphine is commonly used in dogs, it wouldn't take much of an adult formula of Subsolve to really knock a 10lb dog about. I am definitely with the poison helpline here in that, while your girl may be fine and recover from this without a worry, the key concern is that there is likely more sedative effect to come and her breathing is likely the first thing to become compromised. If you can get Phoebe down to your local ER vet now, that would definitely be the best way forward here. Giving Naloxone to reverse the effects of buprenorphine and monitoring her breathing, heart rate and blood pressure would definitely be the best way forward here.

If for some reason you can get your girl seen right away, then for now, please keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

Best of luck with Phoebe, and as above, because she is so small and because we don't know what dose of Subsolve tablets she may have ingested, you are certainly best off playing it safe and getting her seen now. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Hi Sandra,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Sandra Tsantilis. How is everything going?

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian