Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 5 month old 70 pound great dane/great pyranesse mix got

Customer Question
my bottle of klonipins from...
My 5 month old 70 pound great dane/great pyranesse mix got my bottle of klonipins from my purse and ate almost all of them which was about 50 pills. They are 1mg I believe m she's is very stoned and wobbly of course. We we are pushing estrrr best we can and have kept her moving. Is she going to be OK??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the great dane will be able to digest that. What is the great dane's name?
Customer: Sadie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Sadie?
Customer: She is a very healthy and happy girl and just hadnher second round of shots. She ate some charcoal afterwards. My husband thought it might help her.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I might dose a dog with up to 1 mg/lb of clonazepam (Klonipin) and so, surprisingly, 50 mg in a 70 lb dog isn't really an overdose. You're seeing the expected adverse effects of sedation and ataxia ("drunken sailor") but Sadie should remain safe...if not sedated for the next 12-24 hours! Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok just to clarify, she will,of course, be very relaxed and sedated through the night and will sleep much better than me, lol. Not funny but I'm so nervous and worried and have no nerve meds since she ate them all..how ironic. Lol I'm so relieved to hear this. Thank you beyond words can say. Is it safe to let her sleep?

Now that is funny! Yes, please do let her get some rest. It's very difficult to intoxicate a dog to the point of danger with a benzodiazepine such as clonazepam. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian