Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog burps and throws up often, about 8-10 times a day. He doesn't throw up food, it just is clear fluid often with

Customer Question
he burps and throws up...
he burps and throws up often, about 8-10 times a day. He doesn't throw up food, it just is clear fluid often with "bubbles" in it like saliva. He is perfectly happy otherwise, not lethargic, eating normally, no food has changed.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: He is 11 years old. It is a relatively new thing (a few months)but the vomiting seems to be getting more frequent. Initially I thought it was being overexcited like after I got home or something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm currently typing up my reply.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Such frequent "vomiting" is suspicious for regurgitating instead. Regurgitation is a passive expulsion of food often associated with idiopathic (unknown cause) megaesophagus (a ballooning out of the normally rigid esophagus) in adult dogs of his age. There are other causes of his behavior, however. Regurgitation indicates esophageal or pharyngeal dysfunction due to mechanical obstructive disease or functional (motility) abnormalities such as megaesophagus. Pharyngeal obstruction, pyloric outflow obstruction, hiatal hernia, and neuromuscular diseases such as myasthenia gravis are all considered. Please have him attended to by his vet who should perform X-rays of your dog's esophagus (+/- barium swallow) as part of your dog's diagnostic work-up.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian