Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is going thru a terrible experience, he is a 3 year

Customer Question
old boxer who was neutered...
My dog is going thru a terrible experience, he is a 3 year old boxer who was neutered on Tuesday morning, aroumd noon i was told he did fine and i could pick him up as planned, at 4 o for a call that there " complications" je jad some bleeding, jad his scrotum wrapped and they wanted to watch him overnight. At 10 pm i got a call tjat je was not doing well and needed to ne transported to the emergency vet clinic. When i got there his scrotum was the size of a grapefruit and dripping brigjt red blood, platelet and clotting times are normal. He continues to be miserable, we are giving NSAIDS, ANTIBIOTICS, and injectable.pain meds, tje vet maintains nothing was left un stitched , or slipped and the bleeding must be coming from muscle or skin ??? They are planning ablation next week if swelling does not resolve...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about tjat?
Customer: No, Rogue is restless, and miserably. The antibiotics are for a UTI ...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/27/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Alleyne
Dr. Alleyne, Dog Veterinarian

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Do you know what antibiotics he is on? Has he ever had issues with bleeding in the past?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Amoxicillin, he had had no health issues in the past

Okay thanks for the additional information. Did they do any bloodwork to check if he is anemic? Usually in these cases of neuter complications the discomfort is mainly from the distension of the scrotum. It would want to know if he continuing to lose blood or not. Because if he is then he may not be able to wait until next week for the surgery. Otherwise he may need stronger antibiotics and pain meds as well to help him along. If he still seems comfortable by tomorrow you may want to see another veterinarian about it.

As far was what could be causing the bleeding, it may be difficult to tell without the surgery. I know some dogs are prone to bleeding and sometimes this is not discovered until surgery is performed especially if this is the first. There can be large blood vessel in the tissue associated with the testicles, and also sometimes the sutures can slip without the surgeon knowing unless there is a problem.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The scrotum does not appear to be getting bigger, actually slightly smaller, they also did an ultrasound to make sure the bleedimg / bruising was not in his abdomen. They also say him again yesterday. He is getting buprenorphrine injection at home for pain
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I know as an RN surgical complications can happen, but it is frustrating to see him go thru this and not be able to do anything... he wants to lick, and the cones don't seem to help, the plastic ome made him siper anxious and the inflatable ome doesn't keep him from licking

Ok that is good news that the scrotum is getting smaller. Hopefully it continues that way. What anti-inflammatory or pain meds did they put him on? Did they mention any thing about cold or warm compress to help with the swelling?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Rimadyl, they did some hydrotherapy, o have tried to get him in the tub bit as crummy as he feels he is not going for that at home, he is not feelimg into the cool hose either, cool compresses on occasion but the area looks raw and i wonder if that hurts. Can i use something topically ?

Yes unfortunately the scrotum can be the most sensitive part of a dogs body because of the concentrated nerve endings. You may want to try a hydrocortisone cream to see if it helps with the irritation.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian