Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

We have three dogs between the weights of 9-13 pounds, and

Customer Question

We have three dogs between the weights of 9-13 pounds, and we think one may have consumed a 1/2 bottle of tacrolisum 0.03 eye drops. Should we be concerned?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I don't think so, they are 9-13 pounds and between the ages of 1 and 5
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 11 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Hill Give a moment to look up the tacrolimus and I will be right back. How long ago did they get into it and are they all acting okay?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They seemed to be acting ok, and they probably consumed it about a half hour to an hour ago. It was a 10ml eye drop bottle and they probably consumed 1/3 of it

So tacrolimus can cause vomiting and diarrhea pretty quickly. There is also a risk of intussusception (the intestines have increased contractility and telescope into themselves and get stuck). I need to calculate out their potential toxic doses. Can you tell me the percent on the label please?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
0.03%

great thanks. I will be right back.

So if the smallest of your dogs ingested about 3 mls, then that is well within the toxic dose. I would expect to see vomiting and diarrhea, if they split it, it is less likely. You need to monitor all three dogs for signs of gastrointestinal issues for at least one week. If any are going to develop an intussusception then it typically happens in this time frame. Signs are loss of appetite, abdominal pain and sometimes vomiting. Hopefully, they split it and will be okay. Feel free to ask additional questions. Take care