Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a ten year old golden. In the last few months she has

Customer Question
gone from 73 to 63...
I have a ten year old golden. In the last few months she has gone from 73 to 63 lbs. She eats, drinks, poops, and pees normal although she seems to be drinking more water lately. She has lost all fat and is losing muscle now and is just skin and bones. My vet said her blood work was normal and there was no test for cancer. Im not a fan of my vet but he is all we have. Any ideas? thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/26/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Barry,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I have picked up your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience in treating cats and dogs and smaller pets, rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect to receive a written reply sometime within the next ten minutes or so.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Barry,

Sorry to hear Elena is unwell, however I have worked out a reply for you below.

1. Well I have to say I share your concerns, an adult dog which is losing weight for no obvious reason is always a cause for concern, as is the increased drinking. While occasionally it can be something simple and so easily corrected there is always the possibility it might be something more serious. There is usually a some sort of serious reason behind the sort of weight loss you describe.

2. Another way to look at this is that as your dog is slowly losing weight you could say it is wasting, and we all know what the wasting diseases are, I have known such dogs have a cancer for example where in the early stages the only symptom was weight loss. Many conditions which could also be responsible for the increased thirst when it is linked to obvious weight loss would include things like diabetes, kidney disease and liver disease to name but three, but these { And others } are often picked up via blood tests.

3. What to do about it, where to go next ? : As you can imagine there is little you can hope to do in terms of home remedies, if I was dealing with such a case I would run an extensive blood profile again just in case anything had been missed, and if that was clear consider further diagnostics such as x-ray or ultrasound, ultrasound might be best for starters as this can easily be carried out on a conscious dog. I would also sit down with my client and discuss how to handle things in the best interest of the dog if it was becoming clear this may be a serious condition, meaning do you go for more in depth perhaps invasive diagnostics or just watch and wait.

Not an easy situation I know ...

Regards,

Dr Scott
Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

..

Hello again Barry,

I am just checking back in to see how Elena is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her weight loss ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Barry,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Elena. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian