Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My female Welsh Terrier has steroid responsive meningitis

Customer Question

My female Welsh Terrier has steroid responsive meningitis when she was 3 years old. She is now 11 and has never had a re-occurrance. She is in need of dental work. I would like to know if I should be concerned about putting her under anesthesia to do the dental work considering the meningitis in her past?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 11 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I do understand your concerns with her history but unfortunately since we don't truly understand the cause of Steroid Responsive Meningitis we cannot definitively answer what my cause a relapse. There are certain things that should be avoided that we know are immune stimulators such as penicillins and some nonsteroidals as well as stressors but if there is dental disease this in and of itself can weaken the immune system and increase risks of infection.

If it has been 8 years since the last bout of SRM then I think you do need to take the risk if your veterinarian advises a dental. I too had a dog with immune mediated disease that she was diagnosed with at 6 years old. I did dental cleanings on her annually thereafter because of her dental status and had no return bouts until she was 12 years old. I do not feel like the annual cleanings but her at higher risk but always took precautions with avoiding penicillins and rimadyl for example.

I hope this helps guide your decision. I do feel dental disease treatment is critical for overall health and well being so it should be considered for your Terrier

Please let me know how else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!