Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I saw him eat a few granules, very few, if the Amdro Fire

Customer Question

I saw him eat a few granules, very few, if the Amdro Fire ant product. The product has been in the yard for at least four days. He seems to be okay, but I wanted to check!
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Nothing thus far. He seems ok after about 15-20 minutes. Just making sure I had not poisoned him!
JA: Did you see what the dog ate?
Customer: Just a few fire ant granules which had been in the yard since Saturday.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Kara. I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian and I'd like to help. Please give me a moment to review your concerns.

Does this product contain hydramethylnon 0.0360% and methoprene 0.0172%?

The active ingredient in these traps is Hydramethylnon, which is a trifluoromethyl aminohydrazone insecticide which is poorly absorbed orally by mammals, with greater than 95% being excreted unchanged in the stool. Hydramethylnon appears to be quite safe in mammals.

" (Sine, 1987; Kidd, 1991) In a 26-week study in dogs, doses of up to 3.0 mg/kg/day resulted in increased liver weights and increased liver:body weight ratios. No other effects were observable in either the structure of tissues examined, the chemistry and consistency of the blood, or the chemistry of other bodily fluids. In dogs, 6 mg/kg/day caused decreased food consumption, decreased weight gain and caused testicular atrophy in a 90-day feeding study. (EPA, 1995)".

The most common effects from ingesting this toxin are vomiting and gagging. It would only be necessary to induce vomiting if large amounts (greater than 0.5 ounces of bait per pound of body weight) were ingested. Eating part of the contents of one ant trap would not be enough to make your girl sick.

Methoprene is an insect juvenile hormone analog which interferes with development such that eggs laid by adults exposed to it don't hatch. It does not affect mammals.

If he just took a couple lick of the granules you don't need to do anything and he should be just fine.

Please let me know if you have any questions.