Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She ate a grape about 6 hours ago. Acting totally normal bur

Customer Question
She ate a grape about...
She ate a grape about 6 hours ago. Acting totally normal bur I'm freaked out.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Cari. She's 8.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cari?
Customer: Nope. Healthy dog. 32 pound cocker spaniel.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She's eating her food right now and drinking normally. Hasn't thrown up or anything.
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

HI, this is Dr. Hill. Cari needs to be seen by your local veterinarian today. Grapes can potentially cause kidney failure. It is well documented, but we still do not know the toxic component or what volume of grapes are toxic. Your local veterinarian should check kidney values and a urinalysis to make sure that there are no signs of kidney injury. I was an emergency veterinarian for years and would recd that Cari also be placed on iv fluids for a day or two. You won't see signs of illness until a few days later. The key is to prevent the injury to the kidneys by being proactive and doing the fluids. Feel free to ask additional questions. Take Care.

Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian