Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog vomited Monday 3x once a large amount of water and

Customer Question
diarrhea. Got fluids @ vet...
Dog vomited Monday 3x once a large amount of water and diarrhea. Got fluids @ vet and ate small amount of chicken/rice, stool sample no parasites. Next day lethargic and refused to eat/drink. Went on Iv fluids, chest and stomach X-rays and blood work. Blood work fine, slightly elevated pancreatic levels and thyroid but nothing to explain symptoms. Radiologist saw something in stomach that may be I digested rice or foreign body so they asked if he ate anything like pillow stuffing. On Griday he ripped a toy apart but he's 8 and never ate the stuffing. He is eating drinking now but no energy or interaction at all. Has diarrhea but Dr said could be from the food they gave him to hydrate and nourish him. Dr also said that for a dog his size he should pass whatever is in his stomach. My question is: how many days can he be this lethargic? He's eating/drinking now and no vomiting but he is a different dog
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Do you have a copy of the blood work to share?
2) Is he eating and drinking well for you?
3) Any vomiting or diarrhea since?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not have the bloodwork but may be able to get a copy. He is on Metronidazole. He is eating very well and drinking a lot. The dr have him a special soft food to give him nutrients and chicken/rice. He has diarrhea and the dr said could be from the new soft food which is very wet. He is urinating a lot, not sure if it's from the meds. He is licking his lips but no vomiting. He is just lethargic. He is always playful and now he barely lifts his head up.

A copy of the blood work would be most useful. once you have a copy, please use the instructions below to attach the.

There is an attachment function on the page that should allow you to post pictures and video. You can also use websites like tinypic.com and youtube.com to upload pictures and video respectively. Once this is done, you can post the link back and I can access them.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian