Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 3 year old pitbul has a boil or cyst breaking through the

Customer Question
my 3 year old pitbul...
my 3 year old pitbul has a boil or cyst breaking through the skin on her lower neck she has had it for about 2 weeks it is pink and it grows with meat like skin coming out and then it went away now it came back looking the same way and it looks like it is healing again but now she has a ball like the size of a tennis ball or a little smaller right next to her and it gets very hard or it will feel a little soft she acts like nothing it wrong with her she eats and uses the bathroom normal she is always licking it to keep it clean i am really worried.i want to know if there is a way to take care of it at home and what is it she has and can my family members or other dogs catch it please let me know asap
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/25/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Can you please provide clear photos of this area?
2) How long has this been an issue?
3) Is she licking or chewing at the spot?
4) Have you every had this removed before now?

I can give you some measures to keep it clean at home, but chances are that you're going to need to have her examined by your vet. These do look like they could be cysts or lipomas in nature and could potentially require removal. That said, China is likely licking constantly not to keep this area clean but because it is bothersome to her.

The first thing that should be done is to place an e-collar on her so that she cannot continue to groom this area. You can buy one online or make one using these directions: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFWPH17u0eU

Following this, use a mild soap and warm water to clean the area daily. If there are any areas that are open, you can apply neosporin to them.

If the area seems to bother her still, you can also use cool or warm compresses.

These are all steps to care for the open areas at home. The problem is that we don't know what is causing these cysts. It could be something entirely benign or it could be something more major. At 3 years of age, we would expect that it would be less likely for these to be cancerous but any age of dog can develop cysts and can develop masses. If these persist, your vet will likely want to lance and drain (if a cyst) or remove (if a mass) and send the tissue for a histopathology to tell them what it is and what should be done about it.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If it is cysts what kind of cyst would it be and can it spread to humans

Cysts aren't transmissible to humans, so you don't need to worry about that. There are quite a few varieties that we see in dogs. They can fill with fluid from under the skin from sweat glands, they can fill with sebaceous material, we can see that injuries can cause cystic-appearing structures which are filled with blood, etc. I wonder about a sebaceous cyst with your description of a what comes out, but this would be an odd place for it to happen. My gut feeling is that this is a tumor of some variety.

More info: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/cysts/249

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing?

PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse