Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 4.5 y.o. Irish wolfhound has a gurgling sound in her

Customer Question
throat [for one year, our...
My 4.5 y.o. Irish wolfhound has a gurgling sound in her throat [for one year, our Vet is aware - but the gurgling is now several times a day vs once a month] and also rumbling sounds in her bowels. She has soft, mucous coated stool. She has been vomiting occasionally a clear liquid with small amount of undigested food. Went to our Vet 3 weeks ago because of an episode of vomiting 6 times within an hour - a frothy white liquid. Slight extended belly, but soft belly. X-ray and exam ruled out bloat or gastric torsion. His DX was gastritis. Maeve's vomiting is now once a day for the past two days. She moans with lying down or re-positioning herself. Gurgling and loose stools continue. I am concerned that the vomiting and gurgling is increasing.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Maeve is having this issue. It sounds like the entire gi tract is involved. Vomiting indicates upper gi (esophagus/ stomach) upset whereas the mucus in the stools indicates colonic inflammation. Unfortunately if there is an underlying process going on (food allergy, inflammatory bowel disease to name a few) then the gi tract will be more susceptible to giardia, bacterial overgrowth, clostridia, campylobacter which can result in further gi issues

So that leaves you with a few options

1.) Doing a food allergy trial. Surprisingly most food allergies are to the protein in diets not the grains so using a food that is specifically for this purpose, which is where the proteins are broken down beyond the point where the body recognizes the protein as beef, chicken, fish and monitor for improvement in signs. These foods include: royal canin h/p (hydrolyzed protein), hill's z/d ultra

-During the food trial she cannot have anything besides these diets and this can be a two week trial. So no treats nor other foods. This is the best way to rule out food allergies

2.) Starting a probiotic from your veterinarian such as proviable which is a probiotic that has no meat based products in it.

3.) Unfortunately if the diarrhea nor vomiting doesn't improve or diarrhea becomes looser throughout the day then the recommendation is going to be more aggressive. Abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the thickness of the intestinal tract layers throughout and possible endoscopy/ colonoscopy to evaluate and biopsy the layers of the intestinal tract with a camera and without an invasive surgery

4.) Lastly, there is a blood test to ensure the pancreas is not part of the problem and this is a specific test called a tli, folate, cobalamin level that is sent to a lab in Texas to rule out this condition

I have a food allergy dog and this can be quite a challenging situation. She is on the royal canin h/p formula longterm and whenever she gets anything else she breaks with loose stools :(

For now my recommendations would be:
- Omeprazole (prilosec) 0.5 mg/ pound daily to help with possible acid reflux (the throat gurgling) at least 15 minutes prior to breakfast
- Small more frequent meals of a bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken
- Increase leash walks to 20+ minutes three times daily to increase gi motility, reduce nausea and abdominal cramping

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with. I am concerned with the chronicity that there is an underlying process such as listed above but hopefully we can get her comfortable with the above until you are able to get more information if needed about further diagnostics...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian