Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a female corgi/herder mix that ran out our driveway

Customer Question
and was attacked by a...
I have a female corgi/herder mix that ran out our driveway and was attacked by a pit bull. The pitbull grabbed her by the thick rough on her neck and pulled her around. She ran home, was panting alot, she has calmed down and is drinking water and seems to have calmed down and is resting. The only blood we saw was minimal spots, like tooth puncture.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the corgi's name and age?
Customer: Roz, she is 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Roz?
Customer: She is in good health, her shots are up to date.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/24/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago
Ronald Reupert

Hi, this is Dr Reupert. Dog attacks can be very traumatic for everyone.

If you can you should inspect the area closely to determine if the puncture went very deep. My major concern would be a subcutaneous infection and tearing of the underlying tissue that could result in a fluid accumulation called a seroma, Clip the hair around the puncture so you can monitor for signs of infection such as drainage, redness and pain. The infection may take 48 to 72 hrs to appear. You can apply neosporin to the puncture wound.

Please write back with followup questions.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She won't let us get close to the site right now, however, we can not see any bleeding. I'm assuming that dogs will bruise from the trauma. Is there anything else we need to watch for?
Dog Veterinarian: Ronald Reupert,
 replied 1 year ago

My major concern would be an infection. A fluid sac of tissue fluid would also be a possibility(seroma), but that would not be as serious as an infection. If a swelling develops that becomes more painful, that would indicate an infection, and you should see a vet as soon as possible.

Ronald Reupert
Ronald Reupert
Ronald Reupert