Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog has hair over her eye doesn't seem to bother her but it looks like something that would drive me, Abbey, 2 years we

Customer Question
she has hair over her...
she has hair over her eye doesn't seem to bother her but it looks like something that would drive me nuts
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Abbey, 2 years we think poodle/schnauzer mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Abbey?
Customer: she seems just fine, but I would like to know how to help her get the hair out
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry you are worried about Abbey. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian, with over 30 years experience. I will do my best to help.

I have noticed so many times that our pets do not seem to mind hair over or even in their eyes the way we do. I see dogs in the exam room all the time with a blob of hair and mucus right on the eyeball, and they seem completely unconcerned.

The only way to keep the hair away would be to use clippers (not scissors; too dangerous that close to the eye in a dog that can move suddenly!) to clip the hair short around the eyes. If the hair is long enough, you can pull it from the face with a hair clip, or a rubber band. Be sure it is not too tight, that the hair is gathered loosely. If it is too tight, she may not be able to close her upper eyelids, and that could cause damage to the eye (more than the hair would do!).

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it's actually in her eyeball, sitting over the cornea. It's not attached to her anymore, just stuck to her eyeball.

When I see this, I carefully remove it with a tissue. You can try to flush the eye with water to flush the hair out, but the dog usually does not like it. If you do nothing, her own tears will eventually wash it from her eye.

I have not heard back from you! Did this answer your question? Please let me know if I can answer anything else, and how Abbey is doing.

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian