Dog Veterinary

Ask a dog vet and get answers to your dog health questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Cocker spaniel age 9 has problem with weezing shaking

Customer Question
constpated...
cocker spaniel age 9 has problem with weezing shaking constpated
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/23/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your history, it does sound like Skippy has a few different issues ongoing. So while the shaking could just be her feeling unwell, if she is wheezing then we'd want to have her seen by the local vet so they can listen to her lungs and heart. Depending on her findings, she may have a pneumonia or infection needing antibiotics or even a n underlying heart condition that needs to be addressed.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** constipation, there are some a few gentle colon supportive measure you can take at home to encourage feces to pass. First, we sometimes find that cow's milk can be helpful at getting things moving along. As well, cat hairball medication (ie. Catalax, Laxatone, etc) can be used to get things moving. This is available from the vet or the pet shop and works to lubricate the gut and can facilitate the movement of hard feces out of the rectum. Alternatively, you can administer a small volume of Miralax (1 tsp per 24 hours), lactulose or food grade mineral oil orally. If she is eating, these can be mixed into her food. If you have to administer via syringe, do take care to avoid aspiration ( since that would cause problems we'd best avoid).

Further to all of this, we can increase her dietary fiber by mixing a spoonful of canned pumpkin or a 1/4 teaspoon of unflavored Metamucil into her food. Just like people, these can restore fecal output regularity. I would offer these with wet food to ease her eating of it, while making sure we are getting water into her (as canned food is 35% water). I would also encourage her to drink if she isn't drinking much. Especially as constipation can be complicated by dehydration. So, do make sure she has access to fresh water but you can also offer low sodium chicken broth if she is won’t drink properly for you.

Overall, I am concerned about Skippy. If she is struggling to pass stool, then we can give her a "push" to do so. Still if she is wheezing quite a bit or you use the above but don't' see feces over the course of today; then we'd want to have her vet check her to get to the root of those respiratory signs and also have them feel of her GI to make sure there is nothing amiss or signs of impaction (as then an enema under sedation may be indicated).

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Hi Micjell,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Skippy. How is everything going?

Dr. B.