Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I just noticed a growth on my dog's paw pad. It is not on

Customer Question
Hello, I just noticed a growth...
I just noticed a growth on my dog's paw pad. It is not on the main paws, it is on the little pad below his main pads. It looks like a possible fungus or wart. It is cauliflower like in color and texture. Can I send you a picture so you can diagnosis and recommend what I need to do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian

Hi, this is Dr. Hill. Please send me a picture. That would be very helpful.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can I send you the pictures by email? What email address should I send it to?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

you should be able to send them through just answer. I am not able to do a live video call at this time. Sorry. I will opt out to see if another veterinarian is available to help you. take care

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'll follow up for Dr. Hill for you. You can upload pics by using the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ if you prefer you can send them to***@******.*** who will then forward them to me but that can take up to 24 hours. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to communicate outside this venue with customers but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Thank you! It has a very benign look as would be seen with a fibroma, fibropapilloma, or histiocytoma. I would needle aspirate it and examine the aspirate microscopically while you waited in the exam room. If I found a histiocytoma, I'd tell you to leave it alone because it would crumble away within 12 weeks of its first appearing. If it turned out to be another benign growth I would excise it before it enlarged further and presented more of a surgical challenge. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How are these growths formed?
Can they be prevent in the future?Based on your diagnosis, I would need to take him into a vet clinic, right? We live in Plano, TX. Is there a vet you can recommend? Would I inform him/her of your findings and then have them perform the procedure you recommended? What is the cost commonly associated with this type of vet care?

In most cases we don't know. Developmental abnormalities in the skin or viral-induced growths are seen, however. Yes, a vet needs to needle aspirate the growth. I regret that I don't know any vets in Plano. You're welcome to share our conversation with the vet but my recommendations are standard practice for these growths. I regret that I can't know what you'll be charged and so it's important that you ask for a written estimate before anything is done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you for the diagnosis. I will look into a vet here and provide that information. If I need further assistance or have further questions can I still contact you or will I need to pay a new fee and then speak with another vet?

You're welcome to return to our conversation even after rating at your convenience. Please don't open up a new question which will incur additional expense. Bookmark this page for ease of return.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

It's my pleasure.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian