Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We have a puppy she is less than a year old and super

Customer Question
energetic but for the last...
We have a puppy she is less than a year old and super energetic but for the last two days she has been very lethargic. I don't know if she has eaten morning glories or not but but we do have some.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Shiloh
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Shiloh?
Customer: I don't think that this is related but a month or two ago her eating habits changed from being very enthusiastic to much more finicky.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Puppies should be very energetic so I always get worried when they are lethargic. Morning glories can be toxic in dogs, but they usually cause a lot of vomiting and diarrhea, and maybe even some tremors or other neurologic symptoms. It doesn't sound like that is what is going on. Lethargy is a very non specific symptom. Can you tell me more about what is going on? What vaccines has your puppy had. Has she had any vomiting, diarrhea, coughing or other symptoms? Is she eating and drinking like normal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
She used to be very enthusiastic about eating but a month or so ago she became a more finicky eater. She is not quit a year old. We got her when she was 3 months old and at the time she had all the recommended vaccinations.

The typical vaccine series is a parvo combination vaccine at 8, 12, and 16 weeks so I would worry that she isn't 100% protect against viral infections like parvo. There is a lot of evidence that they are 90% protected after that 3 months shot, but not 100%.

However, it doesn't sound like this is viral. Most of the viral infections will have either a significant component of vomiting or coughing associated with it.

Without more symptoms to go on it is very hard to speculate what might be going on. When young are lethargic or not eating well I really recommend having some blood work and X-rays done. They really should be energetic and feel good and the lethargy is a way for them to tell you that something is wrong. When there is no indication by their symptoms what that might be then you really need the blood work and X-rays to know more. I can tell you that young dogs can have intestinal problems ranging from something they ate to parasites, they can have bladder infections, or they can more rarely have congenital organ problems or even diabetes.

I wish I could be more help, but it sounds like she really needs to see a veterinarian for more test. If I can answer any more questions please let me know.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian