Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 8 year old golden retriever got into her food when my son

Customer Question
left it open. Initially...
My 8 year old golden retriever got into her food when my son left it open. Initially we did not think she ate any food as not much seemed gone. She has been up all night. She has been drinking water, is in good spirits and her gums are pink.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your girl Fenway. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 2 - 3 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Hi again,

Thank you for your patience. It sounds like Fenway may nave managed to eat quite a bit of her food in the last little while, and this in turn, has likely left her feeling a bit uncomfortable and nauseous. It is unlikely this ingestion of her food will cause any issue, but do keep a close eye on her abdomen to ensure she doesn't appear bloated. I would also encourage you to continue to keep an eye on her gum color, refill time and respiratory rate (as per below) for the next hour or two. For now, make sure your girl has plenty of fresh water available and encourage her to drink. As you have been, continue to keep an eye on her mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows (do be careful that your girl doesn't try to bite you):

Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of her gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get her to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.

Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.

Respiratory Rate - if she seems to be panting or breathing rapidly throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.

As it sounds like she is a bit nauseous after this ingestion, you may also want to try her with a little pepcid. The typical dose for this type of situation is 0.25mg per pound of body weight up to twice daily. You can read more about the use of Pepcid in dogs online here: http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

Best of luck with Fenway and hopefully these symptoms settle in the next few hours. As above, if any of the parameters above don't seem right, then definitely play it safe and get her seen tonight. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.

Pet Doc
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian