Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog won't eat hasn't for 3 days an has been vomiting but

Customer Question
My dog won't eat hasn't...
My dog won't eat hasn't for 3 days an has been vomiting but has been drinking water, let's me rub juice from wet food in teeth. Today she threw up water. I gave her pedalite an she kept it down she just has no energy she still loves around fine but is losing weight an has runny eyes. It's been awhile since she vomited now a good 4 hours atleast. But this morning her stool was very dark, she tinkles an poops ok except it was dark today looked like it had grass in it. Anyway. I need some ideas what to do an what could be wrong with her she is about 10 or 11 months old my guess. She goes to doctor in 7 days as it is so unless major I don't want to be out the expense for another visit too. Thanks so much
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/22/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

First, I'd note that if Glimmy is wasting away, anorexic,vomiting, and may have black feces (a sign of bleeding in the gut), then we'd be better to move that appointment up. That way you can just pay for one visit but not allow her to get to a state where she ends up collapsed or has to be hospitalized for more intensive care and cost then we'd like.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). And if the stools are black, then a bleeding stomach ulcer or sharp foreign body would be even more a worry.

With this all in mind, as long as she can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to see if we can settle her stomach. To start, if she hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest her stomach for a few hours first), then you can try an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with your vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find the nausea just too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need the local vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

After that has had time to absorb, we can start small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). When you offer these meals, give her 30 minutes after to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk for poor Glimmy, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do find these dehydration signs, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. It is better to have her seen now before this can cause serious harm and the vet may be able to include the other visit's needs in the same visit to keep costs down. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, your vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

*****

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok she feels better today drinking on her own still not wanting food but I'll try the rice an chicken. Thank you so much.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes to you both,

Dr. B.

*****

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Glimmy. How is everything going?
Dr. B.

Grand!

You are very welcome and thank you for the update. I am so glad that she is feeling better and back to herself. :)

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited by the site for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian