Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Lesion on his tail, Wrigley 7 sheltie, 7, No he is healthy

Customer Question
Lesion on his tail JA: I'm...
Lesion on his tail
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Wrigley 7 sheltie
JA: How old is Wrigley?
Customer: 7
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Wrigley?
Customer: No he is healthy just noticed a couple of days ago....last week he was groomed
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/21/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you describe the appearance of the lesion or post a picture on this thread?

2- Is he licking the lesion?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No licking doesn't even know it's there
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Bump not moist and he was groomed a week ago

Can you post a picture on this thread?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No

Friend, I am going to opt out. I don't think I could be much help without a hands-on exam, I am sorry.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am a bit concerned about this lump (thank you for the photos) with its size that even though Wrigley is not bothering it now I am concerned as it grows and the weight of this lump he will start chewing on it soon.

First and foremost, in order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope. This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentation and with this photo although it is a great one I cannot differentiate between the two.

Evaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus later

Some tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would be

I always advise continue photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly

But I would much rather address this mass now while it is this size as it is very challenging to remove in this area of the tail (no skin to close) before he is bothered by it and it potentially abscesses or ulcerates versus later.

Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian