Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions
Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help you and Violet. I'd like to ask a few questions to better assess your situation.
1. The weak and dizzy spells only occur after being outside?
2. When was the last time her blood glucose or fructosamine was checked for her diabetes?
3. If you lift her lip, are her gums pink?
Ok, so wobbly all the time could be a few things
1. Weakness in the back legs or spine (like arthritis). This can be confirmed by your vet and medications started (Dasuquin, Duralactin, if blood work is recent- Rimadyl or Metacam). If she has hip arthritis and is having to scratch herself more, she may be making the arthritis hurt more (overuse of the back legs).
2. Anemia (low red cells). Again, recent BW would have shown this. I would expect her gums to be pale if this was the case (you said they were pink)
3. Heart issues. If she has a heart murmur or an age related weakness starting in the heart, this can cause the wobbly/weakness. Also, an irregular heart rhythm can do this (an arrhythmia).
Back to the itching- are you giving any type of anti-histamine? What food does she eat? Any history of ear infections?
Hello, I wanted to follow up and make sure I have answered your questions. If so please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.