Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I have a 14 year old yorkie that ate a 25mg pro in approx 2

Customer Question

I have a 14 year old yorkie that ate a 25mg pro in approx 2 1/2 hrs ago, she threw up and is drinking but seems to be breathing heavy. Is there anything I should do
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 11 months ago.

The therapeutic dose of proin is 2mg/kg and the toxic dose is about 48mg/kg. Side effects include vomiting, anorexia, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, urine retention, rapid heart rate, and high blood pressure even at therapeutic doses so its possible that she is experiencing an expected side effect, however since she vomited it is likely that she was able to rid her system of a portion of the drug. If this is the case then the things that you are noticing are likely due to another cause and I would recommend taking her to your vet in the morning for evaluation if she is still breathing heavy. As there are lots of reasons that a 14 year old dog can experience breathing difficulty and a veterinarian exam is the best way to figure out what is going on.

Was I able to address your concerns today?