Kelly Hill
Kelly Hill, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  full time veterinarian at Tender Touch Veterinary Hospital
95569734

My dog ate out of the garbage and now he's throwing up and

Customer Question

My dog ate out of the garbage and now he's throwing up and seems to be weak. I gave hime baking soda and water.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dorian, he is 5 yo
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Dorian?
Customer: His nose is still wet and eyes are clear.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Kelly Hill replied 12 months ago.

Hi. this is Dr. Hill. I am sorry that Dorian is vomiting. That is not uncommon after eating garbage. He could have ingested something that is irritating his stomach or pancreas. There is also the concern the he may have a foreign object obstructing his stomach. The best thing you can do now is with not give him any food or water for at least an hour. Allow the stomach to rest. If he stops vomiting and settles down, then it is okay to wait until morning to have him seen by your local veterinarian. If he continues to vomit or is dry heaving, then ideally he should be seen this evening by an emergency veterinarian. They can at a minimum give him anti-nausea meds that will help him be more comfortable. Hope this helps. Please continue to ask any questions.

Hi. Just checking in on Dorian. Any additional vomiting?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Kelly Hill