Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 9 week old cockapoo was seen first time by vetinarian he

Customer Question
diagnosed a 111/V1 L sided...
My 9 week old cockapoo was seen first time by vetinarian he diagnosed a 111/V1 L sided systolic murmur. Can you give me your opinion on her chances of survival without surgery if needed?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/19/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

We need to collect a very very important piece of information about this murmur before we can discuss her chances of survival. We have to know why there is a mumur? Is it because of a hole in the heart, constriction in a large vessle, bad valve, etc. Each of these and other causes each have their own severity and treatment. There is only one way to do this and that's to have the heart ultrasounded. Someone who is good at heart ultrasound will be able to tell us where the murmur is coming from then we can be much more accurate in our predictions, there are so many murmur causes in a young puppy that it would be a total wild guess on survival just by knowing it's a murmur only. My advice is get the ultrasound as soon as possible. Surgery may not even be needed! I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more questions, if it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian