Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog ate some raw onions from an Italian sandwich, what

Customer Question
should we do (our vet...
Our dog ate some raw onions from an Italian sandwich, what should we do (our vet office is closed)
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How many hours since he ate the onions?

2- How much does he weigh?

3- Can you give me an idea how many or ounces of onions he ate?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1) 2 hours (2) 70 lbs (3) small amount on sub sandwich (4) can get some

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, onion toxicity in dogs is very dependent on the amount ingested and weight of the dog. The toxic dose is 5g/kg, this means that for a 70 lbs dog he would need to eat at least 159 grams or 5.6 ounces; if it was a small amount off a sub sandwich I doubt it was that much onions. If it was that much you can try to induce vomiting with peroxide 3%. This is what you do:

1- Give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit or you do not see the onions in the vomit follow up with your family veterinarian in 2-3 days for a blood test to make certain everything is okay.

4- Symptoms to look for that would require immediate vet care are: Vomiting, lethargy, pale gums, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian