Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

She ingested melaleuca oil like 2-3 drops, Bella she's 7 and

Customer Question
She ingested melaleuca oil like...
She ingested melaleuca oil like 2-3 drops
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Bella she's 7 and a pomeranian
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bella?
Customer: She's very constipated hasn't pooped in a few days
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/18/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

Unfortunately the expert you requested is not online at present but I know you will be wanting a quick answer so I have decided to step in, I hope this OK with you. My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How long ago did she ingest the melaleuca oil ?

You can then expect a written reply which you will be able to read here sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. Alternatively we also have the option to talk things over by telephone, I will be very pleased to call you back within the next few minutes and discuss your dog's case with you in depth if this is more convenient for you. Please let me know if you would like to arrange the call. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It has been about 15 minutes since she did
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I worry because she is super constipated so she won't be able to pass it either

Hello again

I have worked out an initial reply for you below, please read it though and feel free to ask for any clarification, I am very glad to chat back and forth until you are happy with my answer.

1. Tea tree oil can be very toxic to dogs in ingested so one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover the drug that way. If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

However if you fail to induce vomiting and / or if any odd symptoms occur then you should have your dog checked over by a vet without delay. In your case expected side effects would include vomiting, lethargy and inccordination.

While you are sorting this out I will type out some info on constipation in the dog.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I make her sick? She just ate a ton of food and is acting normal.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's been about 30 minutes

As per the link in my first answer, I generally provide the link to save time in these sorts of circumstances ...

If you have problems reading it please get straight back in touch ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Here is some info on constipation in the dog ...

1. If your dog is constipated you may want to try oral remedies such mineral oil { Liquid Paraffin } which is an over the counter product available from your chemist or pharmacy to relieve your dog's constipation, this type of product is very gentle and safe. The dose rate for a small dog of your one's size would be in the region of 1 ml twice a day orally. A small syringe you can also pick up at the pharmacy would be a good aid in administering this product.

{ Until you can pick up the mineral oil you can safely substitute olive oil or vegetable cooking oil }

2. On a home remedy basis one of the other things that might help is canned pumpkin, not pumpkin pie filling, this is a gentle stool softener for dogs which makes it a good natural remedy for constipation. You could try two teaspoons twice a day for a dog like yours.

3. But be aware that there would be two kinds of constipation in the dog, the first would be a simple or primary constipation which happens now and again and is not related to any disease process and may be related to feeding, or perhaps giving bones, this form will often quickly respond to the above common sense sort of treatment.

4. But dogs can appear to be constipated on a secondary basis for other reasons such as bowel obstruction or other serious diseases, this of course is rare and you would usually see other signs related to this situation. But for this reason if the problem persists or other symptoms appear you should consider having a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later.

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your dog's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Re : vomiting

Cut and paste from the link ...

Hydrogen Peroxide

Three percent hydrogen peroxide is quite effective in making dogs and cats vomit. You must be sure to use three percent peroxide and not hair coloring strength peroxide. Despite the label indicating that hydrogen peroxide is toxic, it is safe to give to dogs for this purpose. It is considered toxic since it induces vomiting and therefore does not stay in the body.

The appropriate dose of hydrogen peroxide is one teaspoon per 10 pounds of body weight. If you have an oral syringe, one teaspoon equals 5 cc or 5 ml. Once given, walk your dog around or gently shake the stomach area to mix the peroxide with the stomach contents. Vomiting should occur within 15 to 20 minutes. If no vomiting occurs, you can safely repeat the three percent hydrogen peroxide once. If it is still not effective, your dog may need to be seen by a veterinarian for stronger vomiting medication.

Once the hydrogen peroxide is given, it is important to watch your pet so that he does not re-ingest the substance.

How are you getting on, did you manage to induce vomiting?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No she won't vomit for me. But is acting normal eating and drinking. I gave solution to her but she still won't vomit
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We don't have an emergency vet clinic. What should I do?

You can safely try inducing vomiting a second time 15 minutes later if you were not successful the first time.

This time rub her stomach after you administer the peroxide and then walk her round a bit and repeat.

Regards,

Dr Scott

How are things going ?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I could not get her to vomit. She is acting herself and did poop this morning.

Hi, I was wondering how things were going ...

If you have not seen any side effects by this point then the chances are she did not actually swallow very much.

Very encouraging ...

Dr Scott

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian