How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28931
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 43 pound Corgy mix ate half of a dark chocolate protein

Customer Question

My 43 pound Corgy mix ate half of a dark chocolate protein bar accidentally on my toddlers table not sure if it had cranberries or raisins!!! Please help!
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.

Don't give it a second thought. Lizzy would need to have ingested ~14 ounces of pure dark chocolate to be intoxicated by the theobromine in chocolate and there couldn't have been enough raisins in that bar to harm her. She might experience transient gastrointestinal distress from ingesting such an unusual food but she wasn't intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 12 months ago.
Hi Andrea,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lizzy. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin