Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog was bitten by another dog yesterday but has no

Customer Question
puncture wounds. The other dog...
My dog was bitten by another dog yesterday but has no puncture wounds. The other dog didn't get a good grip of her flesh, so I thought she was ok. Last night and today, she's been pacing, heavy breathing and keeps licking her face. She also twitches from time to time. Should I bring her to the ER?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 14 years and I'd like to help with your question.

Can you tell me where she was bit... over her neck? Chest? Limbs? Is there any swelling or bruising?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Right front shoulder. No swelling or bruising. I also massaged her and she didn't show any signs of discomfort.

A bit over the shoulder with no punctures and not obviously painful wouldn't typically worry me. Was the other dog bigger? Did it shake her? Shaking injuries can be more subtle and difficult to identify.

I'm not convinced that the dog fight is the problem, but I don't like the twitching and the licking. Could she have gotten into something toxic? Have you applied flea control lately?

If this is totally out of character behavior for her I would consider taking her to a veterinarian. Whether this is an emergency or not is harder to determine. There are a few considerations. First, are her gums pale? Second, Is her breathing fast at rest? if she is pale or breathing hard at rest then I would take her in on emergency. If the twitching you are seeing persists I would also consider taking her in. It might be hard to tell if her breathing is fast if she continues to pace and not calm down, but if her anxiety is high enough that you can get her to lay down and relax then that is also a red flag that something else is going on.

They may check her out and may decide that this is just pain related from the fight. If that is all it is, she will still benefit from some pain medication.

I hope that helps, but if you have more questions please let me know.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, it was just a clean bite. I was able to pick her up quickly. I also don't think its related to the fight.I have applied flea medication and I have checked her for fleas. The quick breathing starts out of the blue and then she starts pacing for about a minute and then lays down and seems fine.

The flea medication wasn't in the last 24 hours though? Sometimes reactions to flea medication can cause twitching and restlessness.

That sounds like anxiety. It can be really hard to know what the source of the anxiety is. I think she needs to be seen by a veterinarian, but as long as you are monitoring her and it isn't getting worse it might be able to wait for a regular appointment. Watch her for the pale gums, twitching, any distended or painful abdomen, difficulty with urination, or anything that just seems to be getting worse. If you see these things then go to an emergency vet. If she stays the same or improves then get an appointment at your regular vet as soon as you can.

Best wishes.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you!
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian