Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I'm not sure, but I have a 25 lb labradoodle who may have

Customer Question

I'm not sure, but I have a 25 lb labradoodle who may have ingested 10 mg of adderall.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: I'm not positive if she did though. Maybe 20 minutes ago. I saw her eat something but couldn't see what it was. I tried making her vomit and nothing came out.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: She's almost 11 months old
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Nelly
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If this may have happened within the last hour you should induce vomiting and recover any Adderall swallowed that way, for the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

2. Adderall is a combination of four amphetamines. According to animal poison control you can start to see mild signs of amphetamine toxicity (agitation, hyperactivity, tachycardia, etc.) with Adderall at about 0.5 mg/kg. More serious signs start to kick in at about 2-3 mg/kg. { 25 pounds = around 11.36 kg by the way, so your dog got 0.88 mg /kg }

3. If you manage to recover the Adderall by inducing vomiting then all well and good, but if you fail to make your dog vomit and serious side effects occur then you should contact an ER vet without delay.But I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Nelly's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Nelly is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning Adderall ingestion ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?