Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

He has a large hard lump under his eye that just grew since

Customer Question
this morning. he is eating...
he has a large hard lump under his eye that just grew since this morning. he is eating and drinking and seems fine. what can it be
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Ben and he is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ben?
Customer: he had a benign hemangioma removed from his chest and few yrs ago and he just had his spleem removed due to benign nodules
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/17/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Can you upload a photo(s) of this lump to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. Lumps under the eye that grow so quickly aren't going to be cancers but, instead, abscesses. A maxillary premolar or molar tooth root abscess will behave in this manner.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HI Dr.- i have a chrome book so can't upload unless you have an email i can send to. we looked at images for abscesses and this is exactly where it is;however, my friend who is a vet tech checked him and looked at the gums and doesn't see anything although she said it can be an abscess as well. can it be a mast cell? he is chewing on a bully stick as i type and doesn't seem bothered. when i touch it, he turns his head slightly

I understand. You can send a photo to***@******.*** and support will forward it to me. That can take up to 24 hours, however. A mast cell tumor is usually apparent above the skin. It can take careful examination of the large teeth in the maxillary arcade to spot a hairline fracture which is all that's necessary for bacteria to find their way into the tooth. Confirmation of a tooth root abscess is by dental X-ray which should always be performed prior to considering extraction. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok . will send you pic

I'll watch for it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we just sent it

Thank you. Give it up to 24 hours. I'm chained to my computer by evil gnomes so I'll get back to you as soon as it arrives. If you don't hear from me within 24 hours please let me know in this conversation and I'll badger support.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
awwww, thanks so much!

No worries.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
hi Dr. Salkin, so we went to the vet, and it's the 4th premolar carnassial tooth abscess-needs surgery. he didn't take xrays but he said clearly the tooth had a complete crack thru it. we are going to a specialist to see if it needs a root canal or to be extracted.
you helped us before with our chocolate lab- ur amazing and thanks so much for being glued to the computer! all the best. i will let you know the final outcome. hugs from Ben

Thank you for the update! Ben's a lucky guy if he gets to have a root canal! Who would think I'd root for that! (sorry...)

Thank you for your kind words. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian