Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 13yr old Boston passed away Monday morning. She had

Customer Question
laboured breathing, a distended stomach...
My 13yr old Boston passed away Monday morning. She had laboured breathing, a distended stomach and bulging eyes. It seemed to have happened rather quickly as she was eating and drinking until Sunday afternoon. Her breathing had been laboured the past few days and she was very sedentary as well which is unlike her. I was planning on taking her to the vet on Monday morning, unfortunately she passed at 6am. I can't help but feel guilty I should have done more and I have now started to blame myself. I loved her more than anything and she had a very full and happy life. Do you know what could have been wrong with her?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Additionally, she wasn't vomiting over this two day period, however, her bowel movements were small and not very regular, she seemed to be constipated. Towards Sunday she couldn't really stand and when she tried her legs became shaky and she would lie down again. Please help I am heartbroken.
8/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

My condolences for your loss of Ella. Her distended stomach and labored breathing is the clue that her abdomen was effusive - full of fluid - and the most common cause of such fluid in a 13 year old Boston is right-sided heart failure. Her bulging eyes may have indicated hypertension associated with her congestive heart failure.

Effusions can also occur with both liver and kidney failures which can result in not having enough albumin in the blood stream - albumin is a small protein needed to keep fluids inside vessels and out of cavities such as the abdomen. Cancers in the abdomen can cause an inflammatory type of fluid and bleeding into the abdomen from ruptured cancers are considerations at Ella's age as well.

Whatever the cause, an abdominal effusion always indicates serious and life-threatening disease. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Hi Ingrid,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ella. How is everything going?

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian