Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My 2 months old female pug has been vomiting and in

Customer Question

My 2 months old female pug has been vomiting and in Diarrhoea for the last 5 days, currently she is admitted to the nearest vet and under IV but still not recovered. I am very much concerned now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can.

Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem.

Have they tested for parasites and viral disease such as parvo virus?

Is her bloodwork currently normal or improving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
she has parvo virus doctor told the same
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I see. Parvovirus can be a very deadly virus.

Does she have a feeding tube in to give her nutrition?

Has she had any plasma transfusions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No she does not have a plasma transfusion since im in India in a remote place...the doctor is feeding her thru IV
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I see.

The best thing to do right now is to get a tube to feed her via her nose: a nasogastric tube. This is a tube going from the nose to the stomach. She needs nutrition to get into her GI tract. The disease can take many days to resolve, typically a week or longer with severe cases. Getting nutrition straight into her GI tract would be helpful.

Some dogs will not recover from this, but if she is stable and not worsening, she may pull through this with a little more time.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sure, I will ask the doctor to do the same, is there anything else we should do. ?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

The big thing is making sure she is getting multiple antibiotics and multiple medications for nausea. Otherwise it takes a lot of time. She will likely have some GI issues for a month or two after recovery, but they will resolve with time.

Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Some dogs will need a plasma transfusion if they are very severe, but you don't have access to that currently. The main thing is trying to get food in the stomach, that will be the most helpful thing to do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Doctor, I will do the same, is there any food specifically that we should give.?
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

Something very high in calories such as Hills a/d, Purina CN. Another option is just something very bland like chicken or turkey baby food. Chicken breast that has been put in a blender and mixed with liquid could also work, as well as puppy food ground down and mixed with water. She just needs something in there. Starting with very small amounts

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Doctor.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I wish you both the best. Hopefully she will be feeling much better soon.

Have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

I strive for 100% Customer Satisfaction. Please feel free to reply back to me if you need any further information or if you are unsatisfied with this chat. Otherwise, please accept this answer and leave positive feedback for this conversation. Thank you very much and have a great day!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello doctor, we are taking her to the nearest city for plasma transfusion...will it be okay
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 1 year ago.

You can never know for sure, however with plasma transfusions they tend to begin improving relatively quickly. It is likely she will need multiple plasma transfusions before she is ready to go home.