Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Swollen jaw, started bleeding' great dane, 1 year old, had

Customer Question
swollen jaw, started bleeding' JA: I'm...
swollen jaw, started bleeding'
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: great dane, 1 year old, had hard ball on his jaw for about 1 week and has been taking antibiotics. this morning the hard ball was gone, but is one side face was drooping, within 1 hour it was huge and just started getting bigger and running down his neck. now bleeding and seems like puss in blood as well.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/16/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Do you mean it has swollen more since the lump disappeared?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Is the face drooping on the swollen side?

Can you take a photo of this? This will let me see what you are seeing. To post a photo, you can use the paper clip on the tool bar. Or if you cannot see that on your phone/computer, then you can post them on any site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, Imgr etc) and paste the web address here for me to have a peek.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The hard spot turn sof, then the whol sod of jaw started swelling and wont stop. I brought to vet, they looked in mouth for saliva duct plugged? Could find anything. Gave him steroids and antibiotics. But hes been om other antibiotocs for a week prior to this. Last night he started licking lime crazy. Just the air, and i noticed he started drooling blood. His jaw and upper neck is very swollen. Eye looks to be red and partially swollen now. All on his one side. He was very warm feeling last night too and didnt move much, bllod and saliva bubnles were gurgeling out of his mouth.
I think he had an absess of som sort and it was a harder puss ball that ruptured. Once ruptured all started swelling up and getting huge withing hours even minutes. Then the huge part started getting full and hard and i think something popes inside his mouth and started leaking. Gums looked normal. When i say huge, i mean it looks like he grew another head! Like golf ball to spread out basketball!

Oh dear!

I agree that this looks like a salivary gland based issue. A blockage could certainly appear this way, as could severe inflammation or gland rupture (sialocele). It may be that that abscess eroded or involved the gland and has now lead to the rupture we are seeing. Of course, suspicions of this being salivary gland based can be confirmed by your vet if they take an aspirate of the fluid under the skin and withdraw saliva (as opposed to blood from a hematoma or pus from an abscess). And it is quite likely that his licking behavior was from the abscess coming to a head and discharging into the mouth.

In this case, your vet's treatments are appropriate. Alternative antibiotics are often used in case the agent responsible wasn't sensitive to what was originally dispensed (otherwise we'd need to culture the pus to identify if there are specific antibiotics it is vulnerable to) and steroids will reduce inflammation to hopefully dilate the outlet to the gland or at least reduce any gland swelling. Otherwise, if we aren't seeing this come down in size or gland rupture is suspected, then I do need to warn you that our next step would be surgery to remove the suspect damaged gland (they do have others so removal doesn't impinge on their eating/drooling) and prevent this saliva from continuing to drain into the skin under his jaw as it is doing here.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian