Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian
Experience:  Medical Director at Union Hill Animal Hospital
70197007

I HAVE A 4 LB. FEMALE TOY POODLE THAT WILL BE 4 YRS. IN OCT.

Customer Question

I HAVE A 4 LB. FEMALE TOY POODLE THAT WILL BE 4 YRS. IN OCT. SHE IS TOTALLY A HOUSE PET NEVER OUT OF MY SIGHT OR MY ARMS MORE THAN ONCE A WEEK MAYBE 2-3 HRS. IF I HAVE TO BE AWAY! THE ONLY REASON I WOULD HAVE HER FIXED WOULD BE FOR HER LIFE OR HEALTH BUT AFTER RESEARCHING THIS OPERATION I SEE THERE ARE ALSO LIFE CHANGING THINGS THAT CAN TAKE PLACE WITH KIDNEY PROBLEMS! I'M 77
SO MY DAYS ARE NUMBERED! I HATE TO MAKE A MISTAKE THAT WOULD MAKE OUR DAYS TOGETHER NOT QUALITY! WHAT CAN I DO?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and your fur baby. To make sure I am understanding your question correctly, are you wanting to know the benefits/risks on whether or not to spay your pet?

I am following up, as I did not receive a reply from you. I wanted to confirm the questions you were wanting answered.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but it's late! Could u call at 12:00 pm or later? I want to know the sites of vet. Research on fixing
a less than 4yr. Female Toy Poodle no risk for problems!!! I don't want to put her through unnecessary I surgery at 4 lbs. she isn't the nom with me always I'm 77 yr. I have a 3 lb mate!!! She is well, be never runs free! Why should I have her fixed?
I've read about problems kidney leaks after! Is it so proven that fixing is good? Maybe for run loose dogs but a totally house dog " potty pads"?! If u can't help me! Please name UR main organations for Femal pets not exposed to any dogs ! I want to know who " Vets" are researching and giving a choice to fix or alternitives!! Main concerns! My pet BABY!

The primary reasons to spay a female dog are to prevent mammary cancers and prevent pyometra (a very common, life threatening uterine infection that requires an emergency spay). I have provided a link that further discusses these concerns.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=584

The leakage you speak of is not from the kidneys. Very rarely, when a female is spayed (typically when spayed before 4 months of age), they can develop urinary incontinence. The bladder sphincter relies on estrogen to work properly and a very small percent of female dogs do not produce enough after their spay. On the rare chance this occurs, there are several medications that treat it.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (this is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply and I am happy to answer additional questions. Thank you.