Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We went to the beach yesterday with our mini dachshund. He

Customer Question
kept chasing/ swimming after a...
We went to the beach yesterday with our mini dachshund. He kept chasing/ swimming after a stick floating in the water, then chewed it like crazy in the sand, trying to bury it repeatedly for more than 20 minutes.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dachshund's name and age?
Customer: When we got home, I bathed him right away. He has been acting quite strange, was whimpering and lethargic last night. Ate about half of his kibble, had a loose stool in the evening. Still lethargic again today, stool looks more normal but smaller than usual. Just hanging around, doesn't want to be near me when I try to hang with him. He's usually energetic and anxious, following me around all the time when I'm home. I'm trying to figure out if he's sick from the salt yesterday? He also touched a jellyfish, I think it was dead, when he swam up to the stick. Any ideas?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dachshund?
Customer: He's 5.5 and in very good health, tons of energy, very lean
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Christi Belew, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and your pet. A few questions to better assess the situation:

1. You mentioned we only ate about half of our kibble, has there been any vomiting?

2. When we walk, any limping?

3. When you lift his lip, are his gums pink?

4. When you pick him up, does he seem painful or bloated in his belly?

I wanted to follow up regarding your dachshund, I did not receive any reply back yesterday.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian