Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

What is the best antibiotics for hot spots caused by what

Customer Question
seems to be excessive skin...
What is the best antibiotics for hot spots caused by what seems to be excessive skin moisture
Could this be a thyroid problem and can you use the same internal human medications for this ? Jack
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/14/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Christi Belew, Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to help you and Bruno. A few questions to better assess the situation:

1. Were the hot spots diagnosed by your vet?

2. Ivomec is to treat skin mites, was Bruno diagnosed with demodex or sarcoptic mange?

3. Any other medications prescribed besides antibiotics? Most hot spots require that the underlying allergy be controlled (anti-histamines, steroids, etc)

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The ivomec was a catch all if needed. He came from a poor home life. The hot spots were diagnosed by a vet but he has very moist skin. He is a long haired dog and is on 500mg of cephalexin bid and has been for some time. The problem is not not going away.

Moist skin or oily skin? There is a skin condition called Seborrhea that produces too much oil on the skin. Dogs with seasonal allergies, low thyroids, flea allergy dermatitis and food allergies can have it. It creates and causes the hot spots.

Cephalexin is only going to treat a true skin infection, this sounds like an underlying skin condition that is not being controlled. Unfortunately, without a hands on physical exam, I cannot tell you for sure what is going on. You can start with 1 mg per pound of Benadryl every 12 hours to try to address underlying allergies. If you haven't bathed him recently, that will help (just make sure you towel dry him well, GS hair will hold moisture) and make sure you apply a good flea product like Advantix II (after the bath, not before).

If he were my patient, I would recommend checking his thyroid, then treating the potential allergies that are causing the oily skin. Unfortunately, antibiotics alone will not fix this.

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.

Hello, I wanted to follow up regarding Bruno. I hope I was able to answer your questions, if so, please accept my answers and kindly rate me (that is how I am compensated for my time). If not, please reply back and I am happy to answer further questions. Thank you.

Christi Belew
Christi Belew
Christi Belew, Veterinarian