Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My dog took my other dogs apoquel medication last night and

Customer Question

My dog took my other dogs apoquel medication last night and has been lethargic. How long does this last
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Her name is ***** ***** a shih tzu and 11 years old. She's diabetic and takes insulin twice a day
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Paris?
Customer: That's about it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for Paris.

The most commonly reported side effects of Apoquel include gastrointestinal effects (vomiting, diarrhea, anorexia), increased thirst or lethargy so more than likely she is having a reaction to this drug.

I wouldn't expect her to be lethargic for more than 24-36 hours though if she was only mistakenly given one dose.

I'm not a huge fan of coincidence so more than likely this drug is responsible for her behavior but it might be a good idea to double check her temperature if you have a thermometer. Normal is between 100 and 102.5; if higher than this, then something else may be causing her lethargy.

If she's not back to normal by tomorrow morning, then a vet visit may be prudent. I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I'm just following up on Paris. Does she seem less lethargic today? Deb

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I ended up taking her to the vet this morning.
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for taking the time to let me know although I'm sorry to hear that:(

Please keep me posted if you have a chance after your vet visit; I'd like to know what they think is going on with her. I'll be sending positive thoughts that it's not anything serious. Kind regards, Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 11 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Deb