Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Dog is very bloated ... still eating drimking but can not get comfortable, tyler yorkie 20.5 pounds and he is 7, no

Customer Question
he is very bloated .....
he is very bloated ... still eating drimking but can not get comfortable
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: tyler yorkie 20.5 pounds and he is 7
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about tyler?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i need to help him now
8/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been like this?

Does the bloating feel hard, firm, or fluidy? Is it sore when you press?

Are his gums pink or pale/white?

Any changes to his breathing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
since yesterday hard bloat no soreness pink no just panting
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
are you still there

Thank you,

Now when we see bloat it does raise a range of worries. Though I'd note that if he is still eating and not vomiting (potentially passing stool), gut based emergencies are not likely here. I am here, but in the midst of replying just now. I will continue to type my reply and post in full shortly.

Dr. B.

Instead, we'd be more worried about possible enlarged organs ( ie liver, spleen), fluid accumulation (blood isn't likely if the gums are pink but we can see fluid from heart disease, protein issues, and tumors appear this way), and possible masses.

In this case, we need to tread with care. If he cannot get comfortable and the bloat is hard, it would be best to have him seen just now. THat way the local vet can xray or ultrasound to determine which of the above is present. Depending on that, we'd be in the best position to know the cause and how best we can address this (ie tap to remove fluid, start heart medication if heart disease is present, check bloods if the liver is enlarged, etc). And the sooner we know that and get him onto treatment, the best chance we have of getting this under control. As well, his vet can start gut safe pain relief to ease discomfort and get him more comfortable.

Overall, this bloat is a real worry for Tyler. His lack of gut signs do rule out a lot of worrisome emergency issues but it does mean we have to consider other issues in the abdomen for this. So, if he is restless and cannot get comfortable (often because the weight of themselves on the belly compromises their breathing), then a check would be warranted now to address this as quick as possible for him.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
i dont have money for the vet
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
they wont bill me

Hi again,

I am very sorry to hear that is the case. You may want to ring them and see if you could apply for Care Credit (HERE) . Else you can see if there is a VCA or Banfield veterinary hospital near you. If they are open, then you might consider taking advantage of their free first consult offers. You can find vouchers for this via VCA: (http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer) & Banfield : (http://www.banfield.com/landing-pages/coupon). Otherwise, you could consider checking out the Humane Society's database (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html) or ASPCA’s database (https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills). Both have a lot of branches nationwide, along with ties to other assistance organizations that can keep down costs and surely will be willing to help.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian