Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

She may of nibble something of the floor that had Raid

Customer Question

She may of nibble something of the floor that had Raid overspray on it. She was given water, rice, 1/2 teaspoon Pepto Bismal, she had a strange cough but did walk about panting with tougue out yesterday. This morning she lays lifeless, drinks a lot of water, throws it up, can't get back up to walk.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Penny is the name a dioxide beagles mix of about 10 years.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Penny?
Customer: Shitu. Beagle
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Penny. It's important to recognize that whatever the cause of her symptoms they're severe enough to be life-threatening and so Penny needs the attention of a vet at your earliest convenience. Coughing/panting and now lifelessness suggest advanced cardiopulmonary disease such as congestive heart failure. Polydipsia (drinking a lot) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. "Can't get back up to walk" indicates a profoundly weakened dog. Time is of the essence with such a dog as Penny.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can I give her a crushed piece of Aloe Vera?

Aloe vera in that form is considered toxic to dogs. I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?