Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Ok my mastiff had a infection on top of her head. I used

Customer Question
Ok my mastiff had a...
Ok my mastiff had a infection on top of her head. I used peroxide and iodine it cleared up. Then it moved to ear, then to neck now ear. Each time it clears up hair grows back moves to another area.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/13/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello Patrick,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Patrick,

Sorry to hear your Mastiff is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through it sounds to me as if your dog has a condition called " Hot spot " which is basically a form of infected eczema which seems to spring up in some breeds more than others { including your own } for no particular reason. While " Hot spot " is not a serious condition it is quite uncomfortable for your dog and it can often be tricky to resolve so it may be best to consult with a vet as prescription drugs will often be the way to sort things more quickly.

2. Having said that I have know clients independently treat hot spots on an over the counter basis and report success using the likes of 0.5% or 1% Hydrocortisone cream applied twice a day for a week. It is important to cut the hair from round the affected area and washing the area with luke warm salt water and then dabbing it dry before applying the cream will help.

3. So basically if these skin lesions do not quickly resolve with simple home remedies such as I have outlined above you should have your vet check things over and confirm the diagnosis as other skin diseases can mimic the appearance of " Hot Spot "

4. Here is a link to an accurate article which covers this topic in depth : LINK

4. Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Patrick,

I am just checking back in to see how your Mastiff is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the suspect " Hot Spot " ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian