Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We are sitting for our daughters dog and today she had an

Customer Question
accident in the house and...
We are sitting for our daughters dog and today she had an accident in the house and I noticed her urine is green. She is about 6 yeRs old and visits us often when her family visits, so I don't think the accident was nerves.
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is the matter with the dog?
Customer: Green urine, accident in house.
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: She doesn't appear to be in pain.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Annie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Annie?
Customer: She normally is home by herself so to have an accident in 6 hours seems unusual. She is a small dog, about 6 years old. Usually in house.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/12/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will wait for your answer here.

No problem, just typing out your answer now ...

It is a bit long and involved but you should have it shortly.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No, just an idea of how concerned I should be.

Hello again

Sorry to hear Annie is unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

If these symptoms continue for any length of time { The change in urine colouration and the inappropriate urination } then you would be best to have her checked over by a local vet.

The reason I say the above is that while I cannot be 100% certain of the diagnosis via the internet I can tell you that what you are dealing with sounds very like a urinary tract infection { UTI } also called cystitis. Although of course other diagnosis are possible. The symptoms of a UTI in the dog would normally include some or all of the following :

1. Increased frequency of urination, including urinating in the house where this is not typical of your dog.

2. Discomfort on urination or trying to urinating for a prolonged period of time and either not being able to producing any urine or just very small amounts of urine in these attempts.

3. The urine may be blood tinged or discoloured { Sometimes including green } when she does pass it.

Probably there is no reason to be too concerned as uncomplicated UTIs are actually quite common in female dogs they and usually respond well to a course of antibiotics or other prescription drugs. But be aware though that there are other possibilities though such as stones in the bladder or other urinary tract disorders, this would be very rare but this is another reason why it is wise to have your vet check Annie over.

There is unfortunately little you can do to treat this situation on a home remedy basis. Products containing cranberry are thought to be a good idea and can do no harm, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence that this may help. This could be cranberry juice given orally or there are cranberry based remedies available in larger pet stores. It would also be a good idea to encourage your dog to drink as much as possible by giving her dilute milk or any drink that she will like.

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Annie's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you Dr. I will push fluids and get her to her own vet asap.

That sounds fine ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Annie is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her suspect UTI ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian