Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog is acting very strange - she keeps going under the

Customer Question
bed.. we get her to...
our dog is acting very strange - she keeps going under the bed.. we get her to come out but as soon as we are not messing with her - under the bed she goes. She doesn't act sick? but this is highly unusual NEVER HAS SHE DONE THIS??
Tootsy is 6 yrs old (always been a house dog)
breed -Shih Tzu
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/11/2016
Dog Veterinarian: PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse replied 1 year ago
PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Has anything changed in the household or nearby recently? Any new people? pets? construction?
2) Is she still eating, drinking, urinating and defecating normally?
3) When she's under the bed, is she resting?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
1- no
2- yes
3-yes
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
we used a spray on her feet she was scratching - do you think she might have lick it, and it made her sick - although she does not act sick
Spray is Burt's Bees for dogs - itch soothing spray - with Honeysuckle
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
HELLO???????????

Thank you for the additional information. It takes a few moments for your transmission to come through so that we can see it on our end of the computer.

It will take me 5-10 minutes to type out a detailed response for you. You are welcome to wait, if you would like. The website will also generate an email for you once I have responded and you can revisit the chat with a link included in the email. After reading my response, if you have questions, you’re welcome to respond and I will help you further. Otherwise, once you’re satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to rate the assistance you’ve receive from me. This is how the website will compensate me for helping you.

It's very possible that this spray could have been ingested and has caused a mild upset stomach.

We would give more concern to this behavior if she were not resting under the bed. She may simply wish for some seclusion if she's not feeling well.

The wait-and-watch method of observation should be satisfactory at this time as there's nothing suggesting that anything is truly wrong just yet. If she refuses her dinner this evening, begins drooling, vomiting, etc. you will know that her stomach is upset, possibly from ingesting some of the spray. Until these symptoms resolve, I would avoid using any more spray on her as it may cause worsening symptoms.

If she is dealing with seasonal allergies, I would recommend using something like an antihistamine for her in the future to help with the scratching behavior. You can find a wide list of what can be used here: http://cheyennewest.com/antihistamines-for-dogs-cats/ You should use these only when she is back to feeling well again and no longer hiding under the bed.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
YOU CAN SEND ME YOUR EMAIL. I DON'T WANT THIS TO FEEL LIKE A RIP-OFF AND HAVE TO REPORT THAT I WAS NOT COMPLETELY SATISFIED.. MY BANK HAS ALREADY CALLED ME - TO MAKE SURE THIS WAS A LEGITIMATE PAYMENT I JUST MADE..
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ONE THING I HAVE NOTICED THAT SHE HAS BEEN DOING - IN THE NIGHT - (SHE SLEEPS WITH US) SHE WONDERS AROUND OUR ROOM "HEAVY PANTING' LIKE SHE HOT - BUT THAT ISN'T RIGHT AS SHE IS IN AIR CONDITIONING AND ALSO A FAN UNDER HER - SHE BEEN DOING THIS OFF AND ON FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS. WOULD THIS HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH HER ACTING DIFFERENT

It could very well have something to do with her change in behavior. At her age, if this persists, I would talk to your vet about running some blood work (including a thyroid panel) to be sure that there is not an underlying condition that is causing her to pant like this. Many dogs who have similar symptoms are hypothyroid, so it would be worth checking to ensure that all is well on her blood work.

Checking in, Customer. How is Tootsey doing? Any points I can clarify or questions you might still have?

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian