Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My miniature Dachshund has been in very good health until

Customer Question
today when she her stools...
My miniature Dachshund has been in very good health until today when she her stools have been liquid. Her nose is cold, her skin is tight and seems otherwise healthy. On her morning walk, she was attentive as usual, pulling at the leash and eager to chase squirrels. Can you recommend something for her diarrhea?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
8/10/2016
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 1 year ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

What color are the stools? Any blood?

What do you mean by her skin being tight? Do you mean when its lifted it snaps back down?

Can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
he stools are brown and liquid, no blood. Skin snaps back when lifted.Keeps water doen, gums pink,a bit sticky,No discomfort or tensing when pressing the belly. She isan apartment dog, and I did not see her pick anything up on her walk. She sometimes wants to eat grass, but I did not see her try that today.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that there is low risk of her eating anything harmful and that her gums are lovely pink (though we do need to keep an eye if they are sticky, since that is an early sign of dehydration). As well, based on this diarrhea, I'd note that while we can rule out harmful ingestions, we'd still need to be wary of a bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretion.

With these in mind, there are some supportive care steps we can try to reduce that diarrhea for Dolly. To start, we can try her on small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and less diarrhea. You can also add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) to these meals to help bulk her stools up quicker. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Since dehydration is a risk with such watery diarrhea, we need to keep a close eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure she’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Finally, as long as you have not seen blood in those stools, you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, we most often use OTC Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI. And I'd note that if she isn't up to date on worming, that'd be a base to cover (you could even use OTC Fenbendazole from her vet to counter some protozoa as well as worms).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing with Dolly. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, test a stool sample, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable antibiotics, fluids +/- anti-protozoal treatment if needed to settle this for her quickly.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian