Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

My small dog ate part of a n iron contain g heat pack.She

Customer Question

My small dog ate part of a n iron contain g heat pack.She has vomited twice .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Scout
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Scout?
Customer: She's about 10 pounds.since she ate it, she has vomited 4 times and pooped twice and urinated twice
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Scout ingested this heat pack. Do you know how much was ingested and how long ago?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Thermacare heat wraps contain both iron and sodium chloride (salt) both of which are gastrointestinal irritants, so it would make sense that he would vomit from ingesting those ingredients.

The good news is that this product is oxidized iron which is poorly absorbed and he would need to eat quite a bit to get sick (more than 20mg per kilogram of body weight for minimal toxic signs), and he vomited for us which is exactly what I would have recommended as a precaution.

Continued signs of toxicity are low blood pressure, a fast heart rate, repeated vomiting and diarrhea and weakness. So if he seems very lethargic he should be seen by a veterinarian. Very unlikely with the amount and type of iron he was exposed to but he is a little guy so worth watching him closely.

Sometimes the irritation is so severe they end up with scarring and strictures inside the esophagus or intestines so we need to decrease the irritation.

At home you can give either:

1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 12 hours

OR

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at ¼ of a 10mg tablet per 5 to 10 pounds of body weight every 24 hours

These acid reducers should help him feel better and decrease the chance of severe irritation. I would use them for a couple weeks.

If he has stopped vomiting for a 4-6 hours then feed him small meals of a bland diet for the next couple of days to dilute out the effects. A homemade bland diet consists of 1/3 boiled minced white skinless chicken and 2/3 boiled white rice. Feed this for several days and if all seems well then slowly start mixing in his regular diet, a little more at each meal. It should take about a week to convert him back once you start.

Please let me know if you have any further questions, I am online another 15 minutes this evening

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad you were able to see my responses last night. How is Scout doing? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!