Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

Trying to find credit card, she has poop stuck in her,

Customer Question

trying to find credit card
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: she has poop stuck in her butt
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: barkleigh born in 2007 i think
JA: How old is barkleigh?
Customer: yorkie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about barkleigh?
Customer: no i don't know how this works
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that Barkleigh has stool stuck to her perianal area and in her anus.

While clipping her perianal fur very short to stop stool getting stuck to her perianal area which can prevent stool from passing I understand that isn't always possible. If she is very nervous and won't even let you look closely I do NOT recommend trying to cut anything off her. If she moves the wrong way you could end up cutting her instead.

I do recommend preparing a warm water and dilute antibacterial liquid soap bath and letting her sit in it for 10-15 minutes. Then run a gentle stream of warm water over her perianal to rinse and remove as much matter as possible. This might soften the matted stool enough for you to use a wide toothed comb to comb stool off her perianal area and getting the stool stuck in her anal area soft enough to pass. This would be the safest way to go.

If she won't let you do this she might need an emergency visit to be sedated and clip/clean the area. This might not be just stuck stool, it may be an abscessed anal gland (scent glands located just inside the rectum) or a skin infection, and that may be why she doesn't want you to touch the area and is having difficulty passing stools. Both of those would be very painful.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you could give me an update that would be great, thank you, ***** *****